Caesar Salad

Monday, December 24, 2007

Woodlands, Oakenshaw

Booked at 5pm and got a table at 8pm on a saturday evening. Not a city centre restaurant, more of a local pub that does grub. You'll need to know where it is to find it. Stilton Mushrooms and breaded warm camembert for starters. The cheese served with branston which seemed strange to begin with but the combination was quite good.

Main course of fillet steak topped with paté and served in a port & mushroom sauce. This was excellent. Medium rare and just how I like 'em. 3cm tall, burnt on top but juicy pink inside. Melted in the mouth. Chef came over to see us as he knew my partner and told us we'd just eaten Bradford beef from East Bierley.

I took salad which was a bit weak. Kitchen sink variety and when I asked for a dressing it arrived but didn't actually taste of anything. I wisely declined home made chips and veg and partner had great trouble getting halfway down the mass of chips that were served. Way too much. Chef seemed to think more was good. I'd say less is more.

But the steak was sublime. Solid meat, no waste and cooked perfectly.