Caesar Salad

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Wellington Park Hotel, Belfast

Usually an expensive joint but hang on a mo'. There's a card on very table in the reception area that says 2 course dinner for £9-95. I warm foot it down to the restaurant (I am getting on a bit). It's true. A starter and a main or a main and a pud for £9-95. I've seen this a few places now and it's a good idea. Wonder if there'll be cheap wine (he said expecting £15 for a £4-99 merlot).

Mirabile dictu there is a cheap wine option. A perfectly acceptable chilean merlot for £9-95. What's more I can order a caesar salad for starter. Cherry tomatoes, various types of lettuce and some croutons. Parmesan was either missing or invisible. A steak with mushrooms, onions, chips and another (tossed) salad finished it off. Free Tea and Coffee if you wanted it but I try to avoid non-alcoholic drinks. Total £19-90 for the lot. Fantastic value. Steak was well done although I asked for medium rare but company directors with a budget of £50 for dinner can't be choosers. (Er actually they can but with a good steak, loadsa chips and 2 salads inside you not to mention a bottle of red it's easy to be forgiving)