Caesar Salad

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Midland Mainline, The Midlands

GNER are so expensive nowadays. Always seeking cheaper alternatives (as long as I'm paying my own way - if a client is paying we go for the expensive line) I purchase an advance first class London to Leeds. £28

It's remarkably good. Papers given out as we leave. Coffee & Tea within minutes. Biscuits as well. The menu looks good. Hot snacks including a beefburger made from scottish beef from a named area which is bit like appelation controlée fast food.

The suddenly out of the blue a waitress arrives with free wine!!! My God! is there no limit to MM generosity? The pretty serveuse says we'll be back regularly for a top up. Have I died and gone to heaven.

Unfortunately no I'm still alive and although it's not purgatory it's a bit like limbo. After 2 top-ups my fourth request is met with the disappointing statement that they've run out. They only open 8 bottles... (with 2 coaches full of highly stressed executives they only open 8 bottles. ...!!!)

But soft what news from yonder menu breaks. A full bottle of aussi shiraz 2004 from the in flight menu is only £7-85. GNER half bottle of house red is the same. Brilliant. I buy a full bottle intending to drink some and save some for home. I also order sandwiches from the menu. Shamefully almost every sandwich is a weight watchers version with less than 400g of fat. After discussions with the staff we try to up the cholestorol and fat content of the chicken and bacon club sandwich. It arrives with a handful of pretzels plus 3 sachets of mayonnaise and a Kraft honey and mustard dressing. Good try MM.

Leaving the train I forget the bottle. The two lads sitting next to me probably couldn't believe their luck.

"ere, that geezer's left half a bottle of.. "

"d'you think?"

"Yeah let's"